Beef Currypuff Karipap Pusing Inti Daging
This beef currypuff (karipap pusing inti daging) is my old family recipe.
The pastry includes ghee as well as margarine. Definitely not for those who
are on a diet or health conscious. The filling is wholesome with potatoes
and minced beef, flavored with curry powder and cumin. The pastry then is
shallow fried in vegetable oil. Double whammy for those who love the health
of their hearts! I advise consuming these pastries in moderation.
Pastry part A:
Pastry part B:
- 400g flour
- A pinch of salt
- 200g margarine
- Half cup of ice cold water
- 4 tbs cooking oil
- 2 large chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic
- 2 inches chopped ginger
- 300g minced beef
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 0.5 cm cubes
- 2 stalks spring onion (scallion)
- 1 stalk chinese parsley
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp anise powder
- 1 packet (about 3 tbs) beef curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
2 cups vegetable oil for shallow frying
Method: Prepare pastry A.
- Mix ghee with flour and knead into sphere the size of big marbles.
- Wrap in cling wrap or inside Tupperware container and keep in the fridge
for two hours.
Prepare pastry B.
Prepare filling for beef currypuff:
- Rub flour with salt and margarine into breadcrumbs.
- Slowly dribble ice cold water and work the mixture into a dough until
flour does not stick to your hands anymore. You will probably will not have
to use all water, or even maybe have to add a little more.
- Divide into palm sized balls.
- Take a pastry B ball, with your palm, flatten it into a round shape and
insert the smaller marble sized (pastry A) inside it.
- Refrigerate until they are ready to be used.
- Heat cooking oil till smoky in a wok or a frying pan.
- Saute garlic and ginger until brownish.
- Add in minced beef and cooked till it is half done.
- Add in cubed potatoes.
- Sprinkle curry powder, cumin, anise and a little salt and sugar.
- Cook until potatoes are soft and fragrant and the beef juice is dried.
- Turn off the fire and add in onion, scallion and Chinese parsley. Mix
- Cool at room temperature.
Now we are ready to roll and fill the pastry.
- Take a ball. Flatten it on the rolling sheet. Press it into oval shape
with the rolling pin.
- Roll the oval until it is shaped like a fat cigar.
- Flatten again lengthwise with the rolling pin.
- Repeat step 2.
- Now you have a fat sausage-like dough in your hands.
- Slice the sausage into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Take a slice and flatten it with the rolling pin to become a circle with
spiral design on its surface.
- Put the circle in your hands and place 2 tsp of filling.
- Fold it into half moon shape and close the edge with scallop design.
- Repeat until all pastry dough is used up.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan.
- When it is smoky, quickly place as many curry puffs as possible in the
oil, using medium hot until golden brown.
- Turn to the other side.
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve hot or cold.
the top of Beef currypuff - karipap pusing
Back to Malaysian Pastry
Back to our List of Pickles and Spices Recipes
Back to the homepage