Kek Lapis Indonesia
(Indonesian Spiced Layered Cake)
Kek Lapis Indonesia or Indonesian Layered Spiced Cake is a beautiful
dessert, both in looks and taste.
This cake originally came from Indonesia and has many versions but it is also
popular in Singapore and Malaysia.
Beautiful! Slices of Indonesian Spiced Layered Cake
Takes at least two hours to bake, as layer by layer is cooked over a top
grill. Very rich in texture and heavy, if you were to compare it to ordinary
Since the recipes calls for thirty egg yolks but only ten egg whites, the
remaining egg whites you can make into a meringue or even bake another type of
cake that uses egg whites only.
The kind of powdered spices used can be bought at the bakery store - labeled
"Indonesian Layered Cake Spices", or simply use Schwarz "Mixed Spice" powder as
a substitute. The smell is heavenly. The taste, exquisite. It is also expensive
considering the time taken to make it and the costly ingredients involved.
I got this recipe from my mother who went all the way to Singapore to learn
how to bake several types of cookies and cakes including this kek lapis
Indonesia. I had to translate it into English.
When she learned this recipe back in the early eighties, most ingredients
were not available in Penang and she bought the special ingredients in large
quantities and actually started a home bakery business upon her return.
- 20 oz caster sugar
- 30 egg yolks
- 10 egg whites
- 10 oz flour
- 750g butter
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbs layered cake spice mixture OR Schwarz Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Line the base of a 10" by 10" cake tin with grease paper and
grease it with oil or butter
- Beat egg yolks with sugar for about 30 minutes. The mixture
should more than triple in volume
- Beat butter and vanilla essence in another bowl until very
soft and well mixed.
- Add mixtures in step 2 and step 3 together. Mix well in the
cake mixer machine.
- Fold in flour and spices. Mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites till stiff like when
you make a meringue.
- Add the egg yolk mixture with the egg white mixture
together. Mix well slowly to avoid losing the air trapped in the mixtures.
- Prepare the top grill of the oven, heat to 180 deg C.
- Scoop a ladle of the mixture and evenly make a 1/4 inch
layer at the base of the cake tin
- Bake using the grill till the layer is golden brown. Takes
about five minutes
- Repeat the step above until all cake mixture is used up
- There will be some air pockets forming while you are baking,
this can be flattened out using a flat metal utensil. The utensil can be
bought at the cake supplies shop
- Care must be taken to avoid burning the layers while baking.
This is a very time consuming process but the result is well worth it.
Now that you know the secret of making Kek Lapis Indonesia, try it now. It is
very rewarding to learn something new and also eating something out of your
Back to the top of Kek Lapis Indonesia - Indonesian Layered Spiced Cake
to the page of Desserts Using Spices
Back to the page of
the List of Pickles and Spices Recipes
Back to the homepage