Curry laksa is a favorite among those who love noodles in a spicy soup. It
is made of a mixture of rice vermicili with yellow noodles (mee).
The gravy has curry paste, coconut milk, chicken, fish cake and also tau pok.
Tau pok is a kind of hollow tofu with yellow skin. Tau pok pieces are usually
For those who have not tried this delicious noodles dish, try out the recipe
below. Otherwise, you are missing out in experiencing the beautiful taste of
Here is the recipe:
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 stalks lemon grass, bruised
- 2 packets curry paste (about 4 tbs)
- 1 piece fish cake
- 6 cups water
- 1 chicken breast
- 200ml thick coconut milk
- 10 pieces of tau pok (deep fried - you can buy ready made deep fried tau
pok at the market)
- 500g yellow noodles
- 4 tbs chicken granule (or 2 chicken stock cubes)
- 1/2 packet of rice vermicili (soaked for 2 hours to soften and drain)
- 100g bean sprouts
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a saucepan and saute garlic, lemongrass and shallots until
brownish and the aroma comes out.
- Add the curry paste and cook for 1 minute. Then, pour 6 cups of water
and bring to the boil.
- If you cannot find curry paste, prepare your own paste by sauteing 1
finely chopped onion, 2 candlenuts, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 tbs curry powder
and 1 inch ginger with 2 tbs thick tamarind juice until the oil separates
from the mixture.
- Add chicken breast and simmer till it is cooked. Remove and shred the
flesh. Set aside the chicken.
- Add coconut milk and season with chicken granule or stock cubes. Simmer
for another 10 minutes.
- To serve, put mee and rice vermicili in a bowl, pour the gravy and
topped with sliced fishcake, shredded chicken, sliced chilies and mint
Back to the top
Back to the page of Kopi Tiam
Back to the page of Types of Laksa
Back to the homepage